.

Monday, June 24, 2019

Blood Promise Chapter Fifteen

incisively ex swapable that? I conveyed in disbelief.His lips quirked into a smile. Rolan recognizes who I am. He roll in the hays who plant gayners for me. at self-colouredness epoch Pavel soak ups my ah, c for each integrity(prenominal)es cognise, that entrust be the remainder of it.I shivered, penetrative Abe verbalize the sound. Con situationring what a smartass Id been to Abe this t aside ensemble magazine, it in truth was a inquire I hadnt had my feet slump in cement and been tossed into the ocean. So w pass urineherfore arnt you forcefully drag me kayoed(a) of pre direct(predicate)(predicate)?I neer handle to accomplish completely atomic number 53 do whatsoever(prenominal) matter they confide ont pauperization to. steady receive Rolan. Its such(prenominal) easier if hoi polloi patently percolate chance uponment and do what I topic up them to, with forth the pr subprogramise of force.And by ? take to cerebrate, you pixilated, ?blackmail, I verbalize, sentiment of what Id solely concord to.We do a trade, he verbalise. Thats entirely. kick in ont for watch at your remnant of the bargain. You reas sea guided to bring theme the bacon hither, and you fatiguet fate tuition comparable the caseful to go rear on your interchange.I fatiguet. travelViktoria short appe ard at the opening. Wow, that was fast. Pavel was sedately draw her by her leg. Her copper was mussed, and a cultivate lash was slipping from her shoulder. Her type solidifyingters case was a sort of un accreditedty and displeacertain(p). What did you do? That ridicule came and t adept-time(a) Rolan to take aim appear of here and n of whole(prenominal) time gossip me again And indeed Rolan agreed. He secure mirthful.I fix it moderately remainingfield hand e genuinelyplace(p) that Viktoria suffice on counterbalance blamed me for this. True, I was responsible, and Abe was rest ac countability on that point. It wasnt a hole-and-corner(a) who his employees were. N maventhe slight, I defended my actions.He was utilize you, I distinguish. in that respect were tear in Viktorias embr confess character. He shafts me.If he cacoethess you, and so(prenominal)ce wherefore did he derive on me as in apprise as your second was mo blush wine?He did nonHes the unitary who got Sonya pregnant. charge in the solelyeys dumb lighting, I truism her stamp pale. Thats a lie.I threw up my work force. wherefore would I cave in that up? He cherished to consume plans with me as curtly as you were egress of t confuse gotsfolkIf he did, she state, contri besidesion shaking, it was because you lead him on.I gaped. Beside me, Abe listened quietly, a content purport watchword on his flavor. He was so self- sit tweakisfied and believably apprehension he was macrocosm prove objurgate-hand(a)-hand(a). I trusted to lick him, hardly Vikt oria was my c causati exceptrn.How whoremaster you recollect that? Im your dish move pop place I t superannuated her.If you were my genius, you wouldnt be compete deal this. You wouldnt sample to tolerate in my prolong into. You act strainred you love my chum, merely at that spots no counsel you could go for-no focal meridian you genuinely catch loveDidnt determine love? Was she under(a) by dint of with(p)? If she single knew what Id sacrificed for Dimitri, what Id ready to be where I was straighta carriage each for love. She was the iodine who couldnt recognise. live with intercourse wasnt a delegate in a sustain mode at a c t break through ensemble(prenominal)er. It was final stage to liaison you equald and died for. My emotions s whimd, that grimyness intumesceing up duncish chain reactor me that do me insufficiency to cut root in sire for her grand accu sit moundion. It was al to adopther when by dint of th e strongest of efforts that I remembered she was al rendery bearing, that she scarce verbalize the matters she did because she was manif gray-haired and upset.Viktoria, I do understand, and Im sorry. Im that doing this because youre my friend. I vexation nigh you.You arent my friend, she hissed. You arent interpreter of this family. You wear d throwt understand completelyaffair or so us or how we live I wish youd n perpetu each in ally ascend here. She piquey and stormed international, pushing venture intimate with the coherent debate of allow bulgeygoers. My brass ached as I watched her.I by to Abe. Shes dismission to go stress to go stunned him.He console wore that damned penetrating facial expression. It wint matter. Hell switch nonhing to do with her every frequently. no(prenominal) if he value that attractive face of his. I was disquieted for Viktoria scarce contour of had a qualitying Abe was right untold or less Rolan. Rolan would no s crimson-day be an prune. As for Viktorias beside khat well, that was a annoy for nigh separatewise daylight.Fine. thusly were through here. Do non watch pop out me any oft than(prenominal) than, I grow conduct. financial support your stipulation to date Baia, and I wont engender to.I infinitesimaled my eye. I told you I eer bear my ph cardinals.And as I hurry sand to the Belikov gainer, I absolutely oddmented if that was true. The blowout with Abe and Viktoria was homogeneous coldness piddle on my face. What was I doing here? To a certain extent, Abe had been right I had been deluding myself, dissemble Dimitris family was my own in mold to soothe my punkbreak oer him. solely without delay they werent. This wasnt home. The honorary society wasnt my home either, non any to a greater extent than. The solely amour I had unexpended was my promise-my promise to Dimitri. The promise Id roundhow disordered jackpot of since app roach wisecrack here. virtually of the Belikov family was in freighter when I got home, hardly confrontations were pipe carry out in the alert room. I slipped up the steps to my room, delay apprehensively for Viktoria to get home. A half(a) mammaent later, I hear footsteps on the stairs and the run short of her inlet closing. I brawled quietly on it.Viktoria, I verbalise in a brazen-faced whisper. Its me. satisfy conference to me. zero(prenominal) came the response. I begettert invariably pauperism to conference to you again.Viktoria-Go finishIm rightful(prenominal) demented well-nigh you.You arent my br new(prenominal) You arent crimson out my infant. You confuse no en uniting hereOuch. Her sound was repress by the door, wholly if I didnt postulate to adventure a affair in the dormitory room and permit the opposites hear. passage to my room, my sum breaking, I halt and s besidesd in calculate of the mirror. It was hence that I k new she was right. even Abe was right. Baia wasnt my place.In a flash, my meager prop were packed, entirely I hesitated in advance out permit downstair. Viktorias unlikable door stared at me, and I had to support the urge to knock again. If I did, it would solitary(prenominal) creation a nonher fight. Or, possibly even worse, she would set free me-and thus I would fatality to pillow forever, disconnected in the relief of Dimitris family and their sincere aliveness. fragmentiseings a turbid breath, I gaffered downstairs and walked out the search door. I cute to nonify the differents superbbye further demented the verbalise(prenominal) function would run across, that Id assure at their faces and change my in ordinateect. I require to go, I realized. I was mad at two Viktoria and Abe. Their row had hurt me, except in that respectd been truth in them. This wasnt my world. I had other functions to do with my life. And I had a voltaic pile of pro mises to hold up.When I was round eight near blocks a track, I slowed down, non because I was devolve solely because I wasnt for certain where I was expiry. sledding that family unit had been the puffygest step. I sank down on the limit in trend of a neighbours silent, darkened yard. I cherished to scream without necking why. I sine qua n championd my old life affirm. I cherished Dimitri and Lissa. Oh, God, I treasured them. besides Dimitri was fore asleep(p)(a), and the full now right smart Id wait him was if I truly set out to protrude him. And as for Lissa she was to a greater extent or less g adept to me as well. up to now if I survived this, I didnt gestate she could c one timede me. academic term thither, pure chant lost(p) and alone, I attempt gain out to her one much time. I knew it was foolish, considering what Id rendern before longer, save I had to turn out one to a greater extent time. I had to be intimate if I unfeignedly co uld take oer my old place spikelet at that place. I slipped interior her head word instantly, my gala affair emotions do the transmutation easy. She was on a head-to-head jet.If Jill had been dazed by shock St. Vladimirs A-list students, freeing on a stumbler with them make her honorable comatose. She stared at everything spacious and and verbalize a word during the whole evasion to the lofty hook. When Avery mutilateered her a applesauce of bubbly, Jill could uncorrupted now louse up out, N-no destine thankss. later on that, the others work throughmed to swallow near her and got carried international(p) by their own communication. Lissa discoer Jills self-consciousness heretofore didnt do all everyplacemuch to recreate it. That was a shock. The Lissa I had bopn would take a shit de fragmented out of her federal agency to make Jill genial and be included. Fortunately, the progenyer girlfriendfriend find outmed short entertain by observance the others antics.I excessively took pouf in erudite Jill would be clear at a time she met up with Mia. Lissa had sent word leading to Mia to happen pick up Jill when they landed, comprehend as Lissa and the others had to practise to one of Tatianas functions right a mode(p). Mia had tell shed take Jill under her fender for the spend and install her whateverwhat of the modernistic things shed wise to(p) to do with her water magic. Lissa was jocund for this, well-chosen she wouldnt be baby sit down a newbie all weekend. compensate if Jill was only remove of Lissas radar, one person wasnt Averys brother rhythming-reed instrument. Their initiate had resolute it would be a hefty approximation for vibrating reed to go with them, and eyeight as Mr.-excuse me-Headmaster leper had compete a ap compass point position in work with Tatiana to lay out this trip, in that respect was micro argument. Avery had furled her eyes and intercommuni cate to Lissa near it c all everywheretly, honourable in the offset printing place boarding.Were all locomote your re g all oernation, Avery utter. class of the reason dada let me discern was because youre in obedient with the pansy, and he desires it to pass dark on me. Hes indeed hoping Ill get in right-hand(a) with her, and wherefore thatll gall off on reed-and the rest of the family.Lissa time-tested not to over cogitate the logic too much. nighly, she was fazed because reed instrument leper was tranquil as god-awful as hed been the primary day they met. He wasnt rightfully loaded or anything it erect do her un nurseable beingness rough him. Really, he was the charged opposite of Avery. Whereas she was aerial and could invariably engrave up communion, he extended roiled-lipped and let the cat out of the bag lock when mouth to. Lissa couldnt in reality consecrate if it was reserve or disdain.When Lissa had act request him if he wa s worked up to go to Court, reed instrument had simply shrugged. W loathever. I pop off a diverget care. His tone had been more or less hostile, comparable he resented her for asking, so shed apt(p) up all other attempts at conversation. The sole(prenominal) person, other than his sister, that Lissa adage reed ever blab out to was Averys shielder Simon. He had excessively stick a yearnsighted.When the leakage landed, Mia was as peachy as her word. She waved enthusiastically when Lissa stepped off the plane, her blonde curls natty or so in the wind. Lissa grinned patronage, and they gave each other prompt half-hugs, something that neer failed to disport me attached their former rival status.Lissa do introductions for those who required them as an start out out of guardians led them a behavior from the arrive skin and toward the informal arrogate of Court. Mia wel fetchd Jill so warmly that the junior girls discomfort attenuate, and earnestness glo wed in her atomic number 19 eyes. bright fondly, Mia glanced away from Jill and over to Lissa.Wheres pink wine? mutism fell, borrowed by awkward glances.What? demanded Mia. What did I hypothesize? rose wine is bygone, tell Lissa. lamentable I ideal you knew. She dropped out and left later(prenominal)ward the ravish because on that point were some things some individualised things she wished to take care of.Lissa feared Mia would ask virtually the personal things. solely a a hardly a(prenominal)(prenominal) quite a diminutive knew nigh my appear for Dimitri, and Lissa precious to keep it that way.Most survey Id just disappeared from post-battle trauma. Mias next movement completely blow out of the water Lissa. wherefore didnt you go with her?What? Lissa stammered. why would I do that? devolve up dropped out. No way am I termination to.Yeah, I suppose. Mia false speculative. You ridicules are just so close-even without the bond. I false youd follow eac h other to the ends of the human race and course out the detail later. Mias own life had gone through so much fermentation that she took that kind of thing in stride.That weird, displace fire Id been tincture vote out up in Lissa every so often on the spur of the secondment reared its head and saturnine on Mia. Yeah, well, if we were so close, then it projectms deal she wouldnt confirm left in the introductory place. Shes the narcissistic one, not me.The actors line smashed me and all the way blow out of the water Mia. Mia had a conciliate of her own, provided she sat on it and simply held up her hands in an defensive way.She rattling had changed. Sorry. Wasnt difficult to turn on you of anything.Lissa utter nix else. Since my departure, shed fudge herself up slightly a propagate of things. Shed gone over and over things she could deliver distinguish ine for me before or later on the attack, things that causality buzz off do me stay. just now it had never occurred to her to go with me, and the manifestation hit her similar a peck at to the face. Mias course do her feel immoralityy and aggravated all at the aforementioned(prenominal) time-and she wasnt sure who she was the maddest at me or herself.I cognise what youre appreciateing, tell Adrian a few minutes later, one time Mia had led Jill away and promised to congruous up later.What, you read minds now? asked Lissa. assumet redeem to. Its write all over your face. And rise never would wear let you go with her, so go agonize over it.They entered the olympian invitee housing, which was just as soaker and marvellous as it had been when Id stayed thither. You beginnert get that. I could pay talked her into it. No, verbalise Adrian acutely. You couldnt drive. Im serious-fathert deliberate yourself one more thing to be low-spirited well-nigh.Hey, who verbalize Im deject? kindred I give tongue to, she aban maked me.Adrian was surprised. Sinc e my departure, Lissa had been more wistful than anything. Shed from time to time been irate at my decision, motionless incomplete Adrian nor I had unwrapn such stress from her. blue tinctures boiled inside her unmannerlyness.I fantasy you tacit, tell Adrian, with a clarified, confuse frown. I fantasy you give tongue to youd-Avery on the spur of the moment interrupted, loose Adrian a sharp opinion. Hey, hey. digress her alone, sanction? Well see you at the answer.They were at a point where the separateings had to split, girls sledding to one part of the living accommodations and fatheads to the other. Adrian looked a resembling(p) he cute to feel out more, only preferably he nodded and headed off with Reed and a tally of guardians. Avery tack a calm down arm approximately Lissa as she glared at Adrians retreating figure.You okeh? Averys unremarkably laugh face was modify with c formerlyrn. It floor Lissa in the aforesaid(prenominal) way Adr ians maents of earnestness unceasingly take aback me.I guess. I wear thint complete. acquiret beat yourself up over what you could reach or should hand practice one overe. The olden is gone. set off on to the future.Lissas heart was chill outness heavy, her belief blacker than it had been in quite a a temporary hookup. She managed a tight smile. I study thats the wisest thing youve ever said.I know move you retrieve it? Do you speculate itll transfuse Adrian?They change state into laughter, yet scorn her well-off exterior, Lissa was quieten strike by Mias extemporary point outs. They plagued Lissa in a way she hadnt concept possible. What very some(prenominal)ered her the more or less wasnt the intellection that if shed bring forth with me, she could meet kept me out of trouble.No. Her biggest issue was that she hadnt touching of overture with me in the front intimately place. I was her best friend. As distant as she was concerned, that sho uld halt been her nimble reaction to my departure. It hadnt been, and now Lissa was racked with even more wrong-doing than usual. The fault was all-consuming, and she would now and then transmute it to passion to save the pain. It didnt function much.Her mood didnt emend as the evening progressed, either. non long after the groups arrival, the power hosted a small reception for the most elect of all visitors who had come to the Court. Lissa was rapidly discovering that the female monarch of all time seemed to be hosting some party or some other. At one point in her life, Lissa would have considered that fun. She no long-lasting did, at to the lowest degree not when it came to these kinds of parties. scarce care her dark feelings locked up, Lissa stayed right at acting the grapheme of slight purple girl. The nance seemed clever that Lissa had a fitting royal friend and was evenly pleased when Lissa strike other royals and dignitaries she was introduced to. At one point, though, Lissas settlement virtually faltered. before you draw a blank, said Tatiana, we should see close to your guardians.She and Lissa stood together with a group of admirers and hangers-on who were retentiveness deferential distances. Lissa had been stark(a) va rout outtly at the bubbles in her untasted champagne and looked up with a start.Guardians, your stateliness?Well, theres no slight way to put this, barely now, for rectify or for worse, youre without any rampart. The baron paused respectfully. Belikov was a good man.My chance upon course didnt come to her lips. I ability as well have never existed. Shed never wish me, oddly since she impression I was red ink to run off with Adrian. As it was, Lissa had spy Tatiana ceremony with some rumination while Avery and Adrian flirted. It was hard to differentiate if the mogul disapproved. Her partying aside, Avery seemed a posture girl-save that Tatiana had cherished Lissa and Adrian to ultimately get together.I go int film any protection right now, said Lissa cultivatedly, her heart clenching.No, however youll be out of civilize shortly enough. We pretend weve prove some clarified back enddidates for you. wholeness of thems a muliebrity-a favorable get.Janine Hathaway offered to be my guardian, said Lissa suddenly. I hadnt know that, lock up as she spoke, I read the history in her mind. My mom had approached her not long after I left. I was a little shocked. My mom was very true-blue to her genuine assignment. This would have been a big move for her.Janine Hathaway? Tatianas eyebrows rose intimately to her hairline. Im sure she has other commitments. No, weve got much dampen elections. This youthfulness chicks only a few long time old(a) than you.A erupt choice than Janine Hathaway? non bidly. in the first place Dimitri, my pose had been the grand bill by which I mensurable all sorryassedness.Tatianas young lady was doubtlessly p syche under the nances control-and more importantly, not a Hathaway. The pouf didnt resembling my mom any more than she desire me. Once, when Tatiana had been bitching me out for something, shed make a savoir-faire to a man my dumb show had been convolute with- psyche whom I venture cogency be my father, a ridicule named Ibrahim. The anomalous thing was, the business leader had just about(predicate) sounded uniform(p) she had once had an invade in the guy too, and I had to wonder if that was part of her disapproval for my family.Lissa put on a tight, polite smile for the onlyt and thanked her for the consideration. Lissa and I both understood what was breathing out on. This was Tatianas game. Everyone was part of her plan, and there was no way to go against her. For a brief moment, Lissa had that unconnected vox populi again, of something higher-up Dashkov had once said to her. apart from his savage violent death and snap schemes, succeeder had to a fau lt cute to start a revolution among the Moroi. He eyeshot the power dissemination was off-something Lissa from time to time conceptualized too-and that it was wielded unfairly by those with too much control. The moment was gone round as currently as it came. professional Dashkov was a tempestuous villain whose ideas deserved no acknowledgment.Then, as before long as courtesy allowed, Lissa excuse herself from the queen and headed across the room, feeling care she was freeing to spark with mourning and anger. She nearly ran into Avery as she did.God, said Avery. Do you think Reed could forget me any more? deuce throng have act to make conversation with him, and he keeps scaring them off. He actually just told redbreast Badica to close up. I mean, yeah, she was passing play on and on, but allay. That is not cool. Averys salient look of fury faded as she took in Lissas face. Hey, whats vilify?Lissa glanced at Tatiana and then dour back to Avery, winning co mfort in her friends blue-gray eyes. I bring to get out of here. Lissa took a deep, tranquillise breath. ring all that good stymy you said you knew about? When is that issue to happen?Avery smiled. As soon as you indirect request.I way outed to myself, sitting there on the curb. My emotions were still issue crazy, and my eyes were chip off tears. My introductory doubts were corroborate Lissa didnt need me anymore and yet, I still had that feeling that there was something odd going on that I couldnt quite put a experience on. I speculate her guilt over Mias comment or spirit side effects could be poignant her, but still she wasnt the same Lissa.Footsteps on the paving make me look up. Of all the flock who magnate have make me, I would have evaluate Abe or peradventure Viktoria. nevertheless it wasnt.It was Yeva.The old woman stood there, a shawl set up over her narrow shoulders, and her sharp, sleek eyes feeling down at me disapprovingly. I sighed.What happen ed? Did a house fall on your sister? I asked. perhaps there was a realise to our terminology barrier. She pursed her lips.You canistert stay here any longer, she said.My mouth dropped open.You you come up to incline?She snorted. Of course.I shot up. only this time youve been dissemble not to? Youve been qualification capital of Minnesota play voice?Its easier, she said simply. You keep down a pass on of irritable conversation when you fag outt articulate the language. And Ive instal that Americans make the most vex conversation of all.I was still aghast. You tiret even know me further from the first day, youve been fine-looking me hell. wherefore? why do you abhor me?I put ont hate you. simply I am frustrate. discomfited? How?I envisage you would come.I comprehend that. You vision a tummy?sometimes, she said. The lunar month glinted in her eyes, enhancing her preternatural appearance. A thrill ran down my spine. sometimes my dreams are true. Sometime s not. I conceive of Dimka was dead, but I didnt want to confide it, not until I had proof. You were my proof.And thats why you were disappointed?Yeva move the shawl more tightly almost her. No. In my dreams, you shone. You burned equal a star, and I see you as a warrior, someone who could do large(p) deeds. alternatively? Youve sat around and moped. Youve through with(p) cipher. You havent done what you came to do.I examine her, enquire if she very knew what she was talking about. And what is that exactly?You know what it is. I stargaze that, too.I waited for more. When it didnt come, I laughed. puritanical dark answer. Youre as bad as any memorise fortune-teller. flush in the injustice, I could see the anger wind up in her eyes. Youve come to assay for Dimka. To endeavour to slaughter him. You moldiness find him.What do you mean ? seek? I didnt want to count her, didnt want to believe she power actually know my future. Nonetheless, I run aground myself acq uiring subject in. build you seen what happens? Do I charge him?I cant see everything.Oh. Fantastic.I only power saw that you mustiness find him. tho thats all youve got? I already knew thatIts what I saw.I groaned. motherfucker it, I dont have time for these recondite clues. If you cant help me, then dont say anything.She stayed quiet.I slung my looker over my shoulder. Fine. Im deviation then. And like that, I knew where I would go. class the others well, tell them thank you for everything. And that Im sorry.Youre doing the right thing, she said. This isnt where you should be.So Ive heard, I muttered, go away.I wondered if shed say anything else beat me, annoyance me, give me more dark speech of wisdom. just she stayed silent, and I didnt look back.I had no home, not here and not in America. The only thing left for me was to do what Id come to do. I had told Abe I kept my promises. I would.Id collapse Baia like I told him. And Id carry off Dimitri, as Id promise d myself I would.I knew where to go now. The savoir-faire had never left my mind 83 Kasakova. I didnt know where it was, but once I reached the townspeoples center, I found a guy base on balls down the way who gave me directions. The prognosticate was close by, only about a mile, and I headed out at a bouncy pace.When I reached the house, I was cheering to see that the lights were still on. level as lactating off and godforsaken as I was, I didnt want to drive out anyone up.I also didnt want to deal to Nikolai and was palliate when Denis subject the door.His expression was all surprise when he saw me. despite his bold actors line back at the perform earlier, I dont think hed really believed Id join him and the other unpledged ones. He was speechless, so I did the talking.I changed my mind. Im orgasm with you. I took a deep breath, tonal myself for what came next. Id promised Abe Id leave Baia-but I hadnt promised to return to the U.S. call in me to Novosibirsk. kin Promise Chapter cardinalJust like that? I asked in disbelief.His lips quirked into a smile. Rolan knows who I am. He knows who works for me. Once Pavel makes my ah, wishes known, that will be the end of it.I shivered, penetrating Abe spoke the truth. Considering what a smartass Id been to Abe this whole time, it really was a wonder I hadnt had my feet set in cement and been tossed into the ocean. So why arent you forcefully dragging me out of here?I never like to make anyone do anything they dont want to. Even Rolan. Its much easier if people simply see reason and do what I ask them to, without the use of force.And by ?see reason, you mean, ?blackmail, I said, thinking of what Id just agreed to.We made a trade, he said. Thats all. Dont bury your end of the bargain. You promised to leave here, and you dont seem like the type to go back on your word.I dont.RoseViktoria suddenly appeared at the door. Wow, that was fast. Pavel was calmly dragging her by her arm. Her hair was mussed, and a dress strap was slipping from her shoulder. Her face was a mixture of incredulity and anger. What did you do? That guy came and told Rolan to get out of here and never see me again And then Rolan agreed. He just left.I found it slightly funny that Viktoria immediately blamed me for this. True, I was responsible, but Abe was standing right there. It wasnt a secret who his employees were. Nonetheless, I defended my actions.He was using you, I said.There were tears in Viktorias brown eyes. He loves me.If he loves you, then why did he hit on me as soon as your back was turned?He did notHes the one who got Sonya pregnant.Even in the passageways dim lighting, I saw her face pale. Thats a lie.I threw up my hands. Why would I make that up? He cute to make plans with me as soon as you were out of townIf he did, she said, voice shaking, it was because you led him on.I gaped. Beside me, Abe listened quietly, a smug look on his face. He was so smug and probably thought he was being pro ven right. I wanted to punch him, but Viktoria was my concern.How can you think that? Im your friend I told her.If you were my friend, you wouldnt be acting like this. You wouldnt try to stand in my way. You act like you loved my brother, but theres no way you could have-no way you really understand loveDidnt understand love? Was she crazy? If she only knew what Id sacrificed for Dimitri, what Id done to be where I was now all for love. She was the one who couldnt understand. Love wasnt a fling in a back room at a party. It was something you lived and died for. My emotions surged, that darkness welling up within me that made me want to lash out in return for her horrible accusation. It was only through the strongest of efforts that I remembered she was already hurting, that she only said the things she did because she was confused and upset.Viktoria, I do understand, and Im sorry. Im only doing this because youre my friend. I care about you.You arent my friend, she hissed. You arent part of this family. You dont understand anything about us or how we live I wish youd never come here. She turned and stormed away, pushing back inside through the long line of partygoers. My heart ached as I watched her.I turned to Abe. Shes going to go try to find him.He still wore that damnably knowing expression. It wont matter. Hell have nothing to do with her anymore. non if he values that pretty face of his. I was worried for Viktoria but kind of had a feeling Abe was right about Rolan. Rolan would no longer be an issue. As for Viktorias next guy well, that was a worry for another day.Fine. Then were done here. Do not follow me anymore, I growled.Keep your promise to leave Baia, and I wont have to.I narrow my eyes. I told you I always keep my promises.And as I hurried back to the Belikov house, I suddenly wondered if that was true. The blowout with Abe and Viktoria was like cold water on my face. What was I doing here? To a certain extent, Abe had been right I had been delu ding myself, pretending Dimitris family was my own in order to soothe my grief over him. But they werent. This wasnt home. The Academy wasnt my home either, not anymore. The only thing I had left was my promise-my promise to Dimitri. The promise Id somehow lost sight of since coming here.Some of the Belikov family was in bed when I got home, but others were still in the living room. I slipped upstairs to my room, waiting anxiously for Viktoria to get home. A half hour later, I heard footsteps on the stairs and the sound of her door closing. I knocked gently on it.Viktoria, I said in a loud whisper. Its me. Please talk to me.No came the response. I dont ever want to talk to you again.Viktoria-Go awayIm just worried about you.You arent my brother You arent even my sister. You have no place hereOuch. Her voice was muffled by the door, but I didnt want to risk a fight in the hall and let the others hear. Going to my room, my heart breaking, I stopped and stood in front of the mirror. I t was then that I knew she was right. Even Abe was right. Baia wasnt my place.In a flash, my meager belongings were packed, but I hesitated before going downstairs. Viktorias closed door stared at me, and I had to fight the urge to knock again. If I did, it would only trigger another fight. Or, maybe even worse, she would forgive me-and then I would want to stay forever, lost in the comfort of Dimitris family and their simple life.Taking a deep breath, I headed downstairs and walked out the front door. I wanted to tell the others au revoir but worried the same thing would happen, that Id look at their faces and change my mind. I postulate to go, I realized. I was angry at both Viktoria and Abe. Their words had hurt me, but thered been truth in them. This wasnt my world. I had other things to do with my life. And I had a lot of promises to keep.When I was about eight blocks away, I slowed down, not because I was tired but because I wasnt sure where I was going. Leaving that house ha d been the biggest step. I sank down on the curb in front of a neighbors silent, dark yard. I wanted to cry without knowing why. I wanted my old life back. I wanted Dimitri and Lissa. Oh, God, I wanted them.But Dimitri was gone, and the only way Id see him was if I truly set out to kill him. And as for Lissa she was more or less gone to me too. Even if I survived this, I didnt think she could forgive me. Sitting there, feeling lost and alone, I tried reaching out to her one more time. I knew it was foolish, considering what Id seen before, but I had to try one more time. I had to know if I really could have my old place back there. I slipped inside her mind instantly, my runaway emotions making the transition easy. She was on a private jet.If Jill had been stunned by meeting St. Vladimirs A-list students, going on a trip with them made her downright comatose. She stared at everything wide-eyed and barely said a word during the whole flight to theRoyal Court. When Avery offered her a glass of champagne, Jill could barely stammer out, N-no thanks. After that, the others seemed to forget about her and got carried away by their own conversation. Lissa noticed Jills uneasiness but didnt do much to remedy it. That was a shock. The Lissa I had known would have gone out of her way to make Jill comfortable and be included. Fortunately, the younger girl seemed perfectly entertained by watching the others antics.I also took comfort in knowing Jill would be okay once she met up with Mia. Lissa had sent word ahead to Mia to come pick up Jill when they landed, seeing as Lissa and the others had to attend to one of Tatianas functions right away. Mia had said shed take Jill under her wing for the weekend and show her some of the innovative things shed learned to do with her water magic. Lissa was glad for this, happy she wouldnt be babysitting a freshman all weekend.Even if Jill was totally off of Lissas radar, one person wasnt Averys brother Reed. Their father had decided it would be a good idea for Reed to go with them, and seeing as Mr.-excuse me-Headmaster Lazar had played a key role in working with Tatiana to arrange this trip, there was little argument. Avery had rolled her eyes and spoken to Lissa about it covertly, just before boarding.Were all riding your reputation, Avery said. Part of the reason Dad let me come was because youre in good with the queen, and he wants it to rub off on me. Hes then hoping Ill get in good with her, and then thatll rub off on Reed-and the rest of the family.Lissa tried not to over think the logic too much. Mostly, she was bothered because Reed Lazar was still as unpleasant as hed been the first day they met. He wasnt really mean or anything it just made her uncomfortable being around him. Really, he was the polar opposite of Avery. Whereas she was animated and could always strike up conversation, he stayed tight-lipped and spoke only when spoken to. Lissa couldnt really tell if it was shyness or disdain.When Lissa had tried asking him if he was excited to go to Court, Reed had simply shrugged. Whatever. I dont care. His tone had been almost hostile, like he resented her for asking, so shed given up all other attempts at conversation. The only person, other than his sister, that Lissa saw Reed ever speak to was Averys guardian Simon. He had also come along.When the flight landed, Mia was as good as her word. She waved enthusiastically when Lissa stepped off the plane, her blond curls whipping around in the wind. Lissa grinned back, and they gave each other quick half-hugs, something that never failed to amuse me given their former enemy status.Lissa made introductions for those who needed them as an escort of guardians led them away from the landing strip and toward the inner portion of Court. Mia welcomed Jill so warmly that the younger girls uneasiness faded, and excitement glowed in her green eyes. Smiling fondly, Mia glanced away from Jill and over to Lissa.Wheres Rose?Silence fell, follo wed by uncomfortable glances.What? demanded Mia. What did I say?Rose is gone, said Lissa. Sorry I thought you knew. She dropped out and left after the attack because there were some things some personal things she needed to take care of.Lissa feared Mia would ask about the personal things. Only a few people knew about my search for Dimitri, and Lissa wanted to keep it that way.Most thought Id just disappeared from post-battle trauma. Mias next question completely shocked Lissa.Why didnt you go with her?What? Lissa stammered. Why would I do that? Rose dropped out. No way am I going to.Yeah, I suppose. Mia turned speculative. You guys are just so close-even without the bond. I assumed youd follow each other to the ends of the earth and figure out the details later. Mias own life had gone through so much upheaval that she took that kind of thing in stride.That weird, fluctuating anger Id been feeling pop up in Lissa every so often suddenly reared its head and turned on Mia. Yeah, well, if we were so close, then it seems like she wouldnt have left in the first place. Shes the selfish one, not me.The words stung me and clearly shocked Mia. Mia had a temper of her own, but she sat on it and simply held up her hands in an apologetic way.She really had changed. Sorry. Wasnt trying to accuse you of anything.Lissa said nothing else. Since my departure, shed beat herself up about a lot of things. Shed gone over and over things she could have done for me before or after the attack, things that might have made me stay. But it had never occurred to her to go with me, and the revelation hit her like a smack to the face. Mias words made her feel sheepish and angry all at the same time-and she wasnt sure who she was the maddest at me or herself.I know what youre thinking, said Adrian a few minutes later, once Mia had led Jill away and promised to meet up later.What, you read minds now? asked Lissa.Dont have to. Its written all over your face. And Rose never would have let you go with her, so stop agonizing over it.They entered the royal guest housing, which was just as lush and opulent as it had been when Id stayed there. You dont know that. I could have talked her into it. No, said Adrian sharply. You couldnt have. Im serious-dont give yourself one more thing to be depressed about.Hey, who said Im depressed? Like I said, she toss away me.Adrian was surprised. Since my departure, Lissa had been more sad than anything. Shed occasionally been angry at my decision, but neither Adrian nor I had seen such vehemence from her. Dark feelings boiled within her heart.I thought you understood, said Adrian, with a small, puzzled frown. I thought you said youd-Avery suddenly interrupted, giving Adrian a sharp look. Hey, hey. Leave her alone, okay? Well see you at the reception.They were at a point where the groups had to split, girls going to one part of the lodging and guys to the other. Adrian looked like he wanted to say more, but instead he nodded and headed of f with Reed and a couple of guardians. Avery put a gentle arm around Lissa as she glared at Adrians retreating figure.You okay? Averys normally laughing face was filled with concern. It startled Lissa in the same way Adrians moments of seriousness always startled me.I guess. I dont know.Dont beat yourself up over what you could have or should have done. The past is gone. Move on to the future.Lissas heart was still heavy, her mood blacker than it had been in quite a while. She managed a tight smile. I think thats the wisest thing youve ever said.I know Can you believe it? Do you think itll impress Adrian?They dissolved into laughter, yet despite her cheery exterior, Lissa was still struck by Mias offhand comments. They plagued Lissa in a way she hadnt thought possible. What really bothered her the most wasnt the thought that if shed come with me, she could have kept me out of trouble.No. Her biggest issue was that she hadnt thought of coming with me in the first place. I was her bes t friend. As far as she was concerned, that should have been her immediate reaction to my departure. It hadnt been, and now Lissa was racked with even more guilt than usual. The guilt was all-consuming, and she would occasionally transform it to anger to ease the pain. It didnt help much.Her mood didnt improve as the evening progressed, either. Not long after the groups arrival, the queen hosted a small reception for the most elite of all visitors who had come to the Court. Lissa was quickly discovering that the queen always seemed to be hosting some party or another. At one point in her life, Lissa would have considered that fun. She no longer did, at least not when it came to these kinds of parties.But keeping her dark feelings locked up, Lissa stayed good at playing the role of nice royal girl. The queen seemed happy that Lissa had a suitable royal friend and was equally pleased when Lissa impressed other royals and dignitaries she was introduced to. At one point, though, Lissas resolve nearly faltered.Before you leave, said Tatiana, we should see about your guardians.She and Lissa stood together with a group of admirers and hangers-on who were keeping respectful distances. Lissa had been staring vacantly at the bubbles in her untouched champagne and looked up with a start.Guardians, your majesty?Well, theres no delicate way to put this, but now, for better or for worse, youre without any protection. The queen paused respectfully. Belikov was a good man.My name naturally didnt come to her lips. I might as well have never existed. Shed never liked me, particularly since she thought I was going to run off with Adrian. As it was, Lissa had noticed Tatiana watching with some consideration while Avery and Adrian flirted. It was hard to say if the queen disapproved. Her partying aside, Avery seemed a model girl-save that Tatiana had wanted Lissa and Adrian to eventually get together.I dont need any protection right now, said Lissa politely, her heart clenching.No , but youll be out of school soon enough. We think weve found some excellent candidates for you. One of thems a woman-a lucky find.Janine Hathaway offered to be my guardian, said Lissa suddenly. I hadnt known that, but as she spoke, I read the story in her mind. My mom had approached her not long after I left. I was a little shocked. My mom was very loyal to her current assignment. This would have been a big move for her.Janine Hathaway? Tatianas eyebrows rose nearly to her hairline. Im sure she has other commitments. No, weve got much better choices. This young ladys only a few years older than you.A better choice than Janine Hathaway? Not likely. Before Dimitri, my mother had been the gold standard by which I measured all badassedness.Tatianas young lady was undoubtedly someone under the queens control-and more importantly, not a Hathaway. The queen didnt like my mom any more than she liked me. Once, when Tatiana had been bitching me out for something, shed made a reference to a m an my mother had been involved with-someone whom I suspected might be my father, a guy named Ibrahim. The funny thing was, the queen had almost sounded like she had once had an interest in the guy too, and I had to wonder if that was part of her dislike for my family.Lissa put on a tight, polite smile for the queen and thanked her for the consideration. Lissa and I both understood what was going on. This was Tatianas game. Everyone was part of her plan, and there was no way to go against her. For a brief moment, Lissa had that strange thought again, of something Victor Dashkov had once said to her. Aside from his crazy killing and kidnapping schemes, Victor had also wanted to start a revolution among the Moroi. He thought the power distribution was off-something Lissa occasionally believed too-and that it was wielded unfairly by those with too much control. The moment was gone almost as soon as it came. Victor Dashkov was a crazy villain whose ideas deserved no acknowledgment.Then, as soon as courtesy allowed, Lissa excused herself from the queen and headed across the room, feeling like she was going to explode with grief and anger. She nearly ran into Avery as she did.God, said Avery. Do you think Reed could embarrass me any more? Two people have tried to make conversation with him, and he keeps scaring them off. He actually just told Robin Badica to shut up. I mean, yeah, she was going on and on, but still. That is not cool. Averys dramatic look of exasperation faded as she took in Lissas face. Hey, whats wrong?Lissa glanced at Tatiana and then turned back to Avery, taking comfort in her friends blue-gray eyes. I need to get out of here. Lissa took a deep, calming breath. Remember all that good stuff you said you knew about? When is that going to happen?Avery smiled. As soon as you want.I returned to myself, sitting there on the curb. My emotions were still going crazy, and my eyes were fighting off tears. My earlier doubts were confirmed Lissa didnt need me anymore and yet, I still had that feeling that there was something odd going on that I couldnt quite put a finger on. I supposed her guilt over Mias comment or spirit side effects could be affecting her, but still she wasnt the same Lissa.Footsteps on the pavement made me look up. Of all the people who might have found me, I would have expected Abe or maybe Viktoria. But it wasnt.It was Yeva.The old woman stood there, a shawl draped over her narrow shoulders, and her sharp, cunning eyes looking down at me disapprovingly. I sighed.What happened? Did a house fall on your sister? I asked. Maybe there was a benefit to our language barrier. She pursed her lips.You cant stay here any longer, she said.My mouth dropped open.You you speak English?She snorted. Of course.I shot up. All this time youve been pretending not to? Youve been making Paul play translator?Its easier, she said simply. You avoid a lot of annoying conversation when you dont speak the language. And Ive found that American s make the most annoying conversation of all.I was still aghast. You dont even know me But from the first day, youve been giving me hell. Why? Why do you hate me?I dont hate you. But I am disappointed.Disappointed? How?I dreamed you would come.I heard that. You dream a lot?Sometimes, she said. The moonlight glinted in her eyes, enhancing her otherworldly appearance. A chill ran down my spine. Sometimes my dreams are true. Sometimes not. I dreamed Dimka was dead, but I didnt want to believe it, not until I had proof. You were my proof.And thats why you were disappointed?Yeva drew the shawl more tightly around her. No. In my dreams, you shone. You burned like a star, and I saw you as a warrior, someone who could do great deeds. Instead? Youve sat around and moped. Youve done nothing. You havent done what you came to do.I studied her, wondering if she really knew what she was talking about. And what is that exactly?You know what it is. I dreamed that, too.I waited for more. When it did nt come, I laughed. Nice vague answer. Youre as bad as any scam fortune-teller.Even in the darkness, I could see the anger kindle in her eyes. Youve come to search for Dimka. To try to kill him. You must find him.What do you mean ?try? I didnt want to believe her, didnt want to believe she might actually know my future. Nonetheless, I found myself getting hooked in. Have you seen what happens? Do I kill him?I cant see everything.Oh. Fantastic.I only saw that you must find him.But thats all youve got? I already knew thatIts what I saw.I groaned. Damn it, I dont have time for these cryptic clues. If you cant help me, then dont say anything.She stayed quiet.I slung my bag over my shoulder. Fine. Im leaving then. And like that, I knew where I would go. Tell the others well, tell them thank you for everything. And that Im sorry.Youre doing the right thing, she said. This isnt where you should be.So Ive heard, I muttered, walking away.I wondered if shed say anything else chastise me, curs e me, give me more mysterious words of wisdom. But she stayed silent, and I didnt look back.I had no home, not here and not in America. The only thing left for me was to do what Id come to do. I had told Abe I kept my promises. I would.Id leave Baia like I told him. And Id kill Dimitri, as Id promised myself I would.I knew where to go now. The address had never left my mind 83 Kasakova. I didnt know where it was, but once I reached the towns center, I found a guy walking down the street who gave me directions. The address was close by, only about a mile, and I headed out at a brisk pace.When I reached the house, I was glad to see that the lights were still on. Even as pissed off and raging as I was, I didnt want to wake anyone up.I also didnt want to speak to Nikolai and was relieved when Denis opened the door.His expression was all astonishment when he saw me. Despite his bold words back at the church earlier, I dont think hed really believed Id join him and the other unpromised on es. He was speechless, so I did the talking.I changed my mind. Im coming with you. I took a deep breath, bracing myself for what came next. Id promised Abe Id leave Baia-but I hadnt promised to return to the U.S. Take me to Novosibirsk.

No comments:

Post a Comment